To obtain the list of the top 20 agricultural producing countries in the world, it were used data for food crops and cash crops like Oilseeds and Cotton seeds, in cumulative for a more holistic view of agricultural countries.
The top 20 agricultural producing countries in the world are the top performers in world agriculture - a vital element for world livelihood. Agriculture is one of the indispensable sectors of the world economy which is not only one of the highest revenue earners worldwide, but also one which caters to the food requirement of the world. Being one of the core industries which is seldom hit by fluctuating demands, a country with a strong foothold in agriculture production can allow for greater stable economic development of a country. It can be hence deduced that a country that relies on its agriculture produce for its revenue generation is building a base to a strong economy.
- 20. Belarus Total Production in 2019 - 2.93 million metric tonnes More than 40% of the country’s land is dedicated farmland. Privatizing the country’s farms have greatly contributed to increasing productivity and the agricultural industry not only contributes greatly to GDP but is also a valuable source of foreign exchange.
- 19. Vietnam Total Production in 2019 - 4.65 million metric tonnes Half of Vietnam’s population is engaged in agriculture and GDP derived from agriculture was about 510,632 billion VND in the fourth quarter of 2019. Rice is a major crop grown in the Mekong Deltas, while the country is also well known for its cheap exports of agricultural products for which it has a huge market worldwide.
- 18. Philippines Total Production in 2019 - 7.61 million metric tonnes Producing rice, sugarcane and coconut, Philippines is a country that is mainly agriculture oriented. Other than crop production, livestock, forestry and aquaculture are also main focus areas for the Filipino economy.
- 17. Egypt Total Production in 2019 - 7.81 million metric tonnes One may assume that a desert country like Egypt does not have to do much with agriculture, however, some parts of the country’s farmland are so fertile it makes up for it. Though the country still doesn’t meet its food requirement and depends on imports, crops like cotton are produced in large quantities to earn significant foreign exchange.
- 16. Tanzania Total Production in 2019 - 8.68 million metric tonnes Tanzania makes a whopping $1 billion USD on an average each year just by cash crop exports. While the country also focuses on subsistence farming, the fertile lands are perfect for growing amazing coffee, cashew nuts, tea and cotton among other lucrative cash crops.
- 15. Indonesia Total Production in 2019 - 13.55 million metric tonnes Yes, Bali’s scenic and lush rice fields should have already given away that rice cultivation is a big asset in the country. However, the country is also one of top producers in the world for palm oil, cocoa, coffee and vanilla.
- 14. South Africa Total Production in 2019 - 14.39 million metric tonnes The country is 5th largest producer of cereals which makes it 15th on the list of top 20 agricultural producing countries in the world. South Africa is also well-known for its quality exports of grapes, fruit wine and sugarcane.
- 13. Ethiopia Total Production in 2019 - 16.7 million metric tonnes Overcoming harsh conditions and lack of infrastructure Ethiopia is still Africa’s second largest maize producer. Also, Arabica type coffee, cotton and flowers form a major part of the country’s export.
- 12. Italy Total Production in 2019 - 17 million metric tonnes Think of the picturesque sunflower fields of Italy or the amazing wine and fresh olive oil - agricultural products of Italy are a trademark you cannot associate with any other region. This makes Italy a viable contender to be on the list.
- 11. Nigeria Total Production in 2019 - 19.92 million metric tonnes Nigeria is one of the largest producers of rice in Africa and also one of the largest consumers of it. The country also does well in the production of cash crops and is a world leader in production of cassava.
- 10. United Kingdom Total Production in 2019 - 27.27 million metric tonnes The United Kingdom has been putting great efforts into fueling its agriculture industry with developing infrastructure to improve productivity, however it is still significantly behind other major economies like the United States and Germany. Organic farming and bio-fuels production are currently big opportunities that the UK is exploring.
- 9. Romania Total Production in 2019 - 29.41 million metric tonnes With abundant arable land and a tradition in agriculture, Romania is a rightful contender on the top 20 agricultural producing countries in the world list. Maize production in Romania is the highest in the world by cultivated area.
- 8. Germany Total Production in 2019 - 47.19 million metric tonnes From wheat, barley, cereals and poultry, to fruits and wine - Germany is a wide range agricultural producer. German beer is highly sought after, and grown mainly (but not exclusively) in Bavaria.
- 7. Russia Total Production in 2019 - 53.73 million metric tonnes The country has a large area of cultivable land and produces grains in large quantities. Wheat is the most widely grown crop there followed by Barley.
- 6. France Total Production in 2019 - 76.46 million metric tonnes French cheese is famous around the world and the country produces around 350 varieties of it! But, dairy isn’t the only product that makes France a world leader. Sugar beets are another crop in which France is a top producer.
- 5. India Total Production in 2019 - 88.94 million metric tonnes With a stellar history in agriculture, the industry forms an important part of the economy. Produces include rice, pulses, wheat and also jute, a special kind of burlap that the country produces in large quantities.
- 4. Argentina Total Production in 2019 - 120.63 million metric tonnes Argentina caters to most of the world demands for soybean, wheat and meat. It also is one of the main exporters of wool. Wine produced in Argentina is consumed mostly domestically, but is vastly produced, with the Malbec grapes being a hot favorite.
- 3. Brazil Total Production in 2019 - 230.38 million metric tonnes Be it sugar, coffee or orange juice - Brazil beats all world players in producing the top quantities. Even after producing the world's major produce the country still has huge areas of undeveloped arable lands, and plans are in progress for further development.
- 2. China Total Production in 2019 - 335.34 million metric tonnes China has a history of being a world leader in agriculture, and caters to almost 50% of the vegetable supplies worldwide producing a whopping 500 million tonnes. A huge population is involved in farming in the country. 2020/21 cotton production is expected to be at 26.5 million 480-pound bales, as predicted by USDA.
- 1. United States Total Production in 2019 - 513.74 million metric tonnes The United States bags the top spot for the top 20 agricultural producing countries in the world. US strongly focuses on agriculture, and produce the top quantities of corn and sorghum. Farm activities contribute a mind blowing $100 billion to the country’s economy!